Tuesday, May 21, 2013

To The Max

My manager isn't going to like this post.

Last week, I popped into the Mill Street Brew Pub because... well... I'm there almost every week. But when I was there, one of the assistant managers, Kyle, saw me and said, "You should have been at last week's Brewmaster's Dinner. We had a beer that won't be available here. It'll only be available at the beer hall." That's Mill Street's new Beer Hall, which just opened in the Distillery District in Toronto.

My manager won't like this post because he won't be able to get his hands on this beer easily.

Kyle then added, "Actually, we still have some. Hang on." He disappeared for a few minutes, and when he returned he had a growler in his hand. He plunked it down on the bar in front of me. "It's on me," he said.

I have good friends at Mill Street.

But, just because Kyle gave me a growler of beer, I do not feel under any obligation to give a good review. Luckily, for me and for them, I really enjoyed it.
Minimus Dubbel (8.3% ABV)
Mill Street Brewing Company
Toronto, ON
Beer O'Clock rating: 3.5
Appearance: deep-toffee brown with red highlights, and a whitish head that dissipates quickly to a fine lace.

Nose: toffee pudding and bananas.

Palate: fresh banana loaf with walnuts and raisins, and a long, toffee finish.

Overall impression: this Belgian-styled dubbel reminds me of a festive toffee pudding. With its subtle sweetness, it's almost a dessert. It is well-balanced, and despite the high alcohol content you can't taste the booze.

This is a great beer that Mill Street should seriously consider sending up to its Ottawa brew pub. Seriously, folks: celebrate your beer hall with it, and then send it along.

If not for me, do it for my manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment